Experimenting with dairy-free recipes is a challenge and an adventure. In the last weeks, I’ve tried several recipes that were decent and some that flopped. I’m pretty picky, especially when it comes to baked goods. So far only one dairy-free muffin recipe has made it into my binder for keeps!
These Sour Cream Chocolate Muffins are my family’s favorite. They aren’t the healthiest muffin. Any muffin batter that is good enough to eat uncooked is probably approaching the dessert category. But they definitely are the tastiest!
While not as rich as the sour cream version, the muffins made with dairy-free substitutions were really good. In fact the two dozen I made were all eaten in less than two days.
The dairy-free version is probably healthier than the sour cream version anyway. At least that’s what I tell myself when I grab my 3rd one!
The secret of the diary-free version is substituting coconut cream for sour cream. It’s just as thick as sour cream, so the muffins keep their great fluffy texture.
If you are new to dairy-free cooking learning what ingredients contain dairy is quite a curve. It’s more than giving up cheese and milk, you also have to consider butter, buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, and most chocolate when you are cooking.
Coconut Cream is a good substitution in most baking that calls for sour cream or greek yogurt. For substituting regular yogurt, you might need to mix a little of your favorite dairy free milk (almond, coconut, soy or rice) with the coconut cream to get the right consistency. I find my coconut cream at Trader Joe’s or order it from Amazon.
When a recipe calls for butter, you can substitute a dairy free spread like Earth Balance or Coconut Oil.
Don’t forget that most chocolate chips contain dairy too! I use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips. I’ve also heard that some dark chocolate is dairy free, so that would be a good option to look for.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 14oz can coconut cream
- 10 tablespoons non-dairy butter substitute (Earth Balance) or coconut oil
- 10 oz bag chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin, or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, vanilla, coconut cream and softened butter substitute with sugar until creamy.
- Gently mix in flour, salt and baking powder using a spoon or spatula. Stir until the dry ingredients are just mixed in. Do not beat!
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill 24 muffin cups with the batter.
- Bake 23-25 minutes or until slightly golden.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4489Total Fat: 165gSaturated Fat: 68gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 3956mgCarbohydrates: 709gSugar: 379gProtein: 71g