Creamy Potato Soup
When I think of autumn, potato soup is the first meal I crave- hot, comforting, and a little spicy…YUM! I know autumn isn’t here yet, but we’ve had several unseasonably cool days which have found me cooking favorite warm, comfort foods.
I grew up eating this yummy, creamy potato soup and now it is a favorite of my family also. It is the perfect meal for a cool, fall evening. Customize the soup by adding more or less spice, and by choosing how you serve it. My mom simply served the soup with a plate of peanut butter crackers to dip into the liquid. I love crumbling a hot cornbread muffin into my potato soup while my husband prefers it served with extra cheese, bacon, and green onion sprinkled on top.
Creamy Potato Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 stick of butter
- 5 pound bag of potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups half n half
- Pour the chicken broth in a large pot.
- Whisk the flour and pepper into the chicken broth. *Adjust the amount of white pepper according to how much kick you like. 1 teaspoon will give a nice flavor, while 2 will be a little spicy. If you like really spicy add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper also!
- Add a stick of butter to the liquid in the pot.
- Stir the peeled and chopped potatoes into the pot and turn the heat to medium high.
- The liquid should begin bubbling mildly as the potatoes cook. Cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted, and then stir in the half n half.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2600Total Fat: 218gSaturated Fat: 138gCholesterol: 651mgSodium: 10221mgCarbohydrates: 79gSugar: 28gProtein: 78g
This sounds so delicious! I bet my whole family would LOVE it!
This looks absolutely amazing!
I will be pinning this to our MMBH board 🙂
Yum! Pinned so I can try this. Thanks for sharing. 🙂 #typeaparent
Mmmm… this looks delicious! I am pinning it now. Thanks for sharing! (Stopping by from Type A Parent. 🙂 )