This delicious creamy chicken and wild rice soup is a family favorite at my house! It’s the ultimate cold weather comfort food your whole family will love!
This creamy soup is super easy to make using fresh veggies and leftover chicken. If you don’t have any leftover chicken on hand, this soup is delicious made with a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store.
This Chicken and Wild Rice soup is so thick and hearty that it should probably be called a chowder! My family loves it that way, but if you prefer a thinner soup simply add more milk or chicken broth.
Make this chicken and wild rice soup even better by serving it with a slice of crusty bread!
How long will chicken and wild rice soup last?
Chicken and wild rice soup will last for three days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze chicken and wild rice soup?
I don’t recommend freezing chicken and wild rice soup. Cream based soups don’t hold up well after being frozen. The rice in this soup can also get gummy after freezing.
How to make Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Chicken: Use leftover, precooked chicken to make this soup recipe quick and easy.
I often plan a meal with grilled chicken the night the night before I’d like to cook this delicious chicken and wild rice soup. Simply throw an extra pack of chicken breasts on the grill, seasoned with a simple dusting of garlic, salt, and pepper.
Another easy way to make this soup is using shredded chicken from the instant pot. I cook several whole chickens at once in my instant pot, shred them and then portion the shredded chicken into quart sized freezer bags to use later for soups and casseroles.
Or grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to use in this yummy soup for the quickest homemade soup ever.
Wild Rice Blend: You’ll need a 6oz box of wild rice blend, such as Uncle Bens Original Long Grain & Wild Rice.
Carrots, Onion, and Celery: This soup uses about a cup each of carrots, onion, and celery. Chop your veggies into small pieces.
You’ll need two pots for this chicken and wild rice soup recipe. First, a medium sized pot for the rice, which you will re-use when making the thickening for the soup. Second, a large stock pot for the soup itself.
In the medium pot, make the wild rice blend according to the directions on the box. Once the rice is done cooking, set it and the pot aside until later.
While the rice is cooking, begin making the soup. First you’ll sauté the onion, celery, and carrots in a little olive oil until they are just barely tender. Add a spoonful of minced garlic towards the end of the sautéing.
Next, add the chicken broth and Italian seasoning, bring the soup up to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the veggies are tender.
Add the shredded chicken to the soup, along with the cooked wild rice blend.
While the soup is heating, wipe out the rice pot and make the thickening. Melt the butter and stir in the flour. Heat the flour mixture, stirring constantly, until it bubbles- then cook it one more minute.
Whisk the milk into the flour mixture and cook it, stirring constantly until it thickens (about five minutes)
Pour the thickened flour mixture into the soup. Then add the heavy cream to the soup. While the soup is heating, taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
If the soup is thicker than you’d prefer add a little more chicken broth or milk at this point.
How to reheat chicken and wild rice soup
You can reheat chicken and wild rice soup on the stovetop, or in the microwave. Since the rice will thicken the soup even more after being refrigerated, you may want to add a splash of milk to the soup when reheating.
- 2.5 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- one box of wild rice blend, uncooked (6oz box)
- In a medium saucepan, prepare the wild rice blend as directed on the box.
- While the rice is cooking, in a large stockpot, pour one tablespoon of olive oil and saute the onion, carrots, and celery just until tender (about 5 minutes)
- Add the garlic to the vegetables and saute another 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth and italian seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 miutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cooked rice and shredded chicken to the soup.
- Rinse out the pan you cooked the rice in. Melt the butter in the pan.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly. When the butter and flour mixture begins to bubble, cook for one more minute.
- Whisk the milk into the flour mixture. Cook, while stirring constantly until the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Pour the thickened milk mixture into the soup.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste