Although I have been researching and practicing food photography and plating for the last month, I have not learned enough to do a great job photographing this dish! Despite a less than appetizing photo I am going to share this recipe because it is so easy and yummy.
This Sweet & Spicy Chicken has just enough sweetness to appeal to the kids in my house, yet enough kick to also make the dish a favorite of the grown-ups also. Definitely adjust the amount of red pepper in the recipe to suit your family’s taste buds- the recipe below calls for the perfect amount for mine. Adults can also sprinkle extra red pepper flakes into their bowls before eating for even more kick.
I love a one pot meal that is hearty and filling, especially one that is quick and easy to cook and clean up. At 31 weeks pregnant, the less time I have to spend standing in the kitchen for dinner prep and clean up the better!
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water (separated)
- 2/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- In a large pan, brown the cubed chicken and minced garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil until done.
- Stir in in apple juice, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and 3/4 a cup of water.
- Push the chicken toward one side of the pan; on the other side of the pan whisk in the ketchup, ginger, red pepper, and brown sugar.
- Mix the ingredients in the pan well and heat to bubbling.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of water and cornstarch together, then pour the mixture into the pan, whisking well to incorporate.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1643Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 662mgSodium: 7212mgCarbohydrates: 129gSugar: 94gProtein: 221g