Craving stuffed peppers, but don’t want to go to all the trouble of coring and blanching peppers? Then this Stuffed Pepper Soup is the perfect answer.
This soup is quick and easy to cook, with all the great taste of stuffed peppers in a hearty, comforting soup.
My family loves stuffed peppers, but having a big family means that stuffed peppers take nearly all day to make! But, when I make a huge pot of this amazing Stuffed Pepper Soup I can feed my whole crew with very little effort. Plus, I can even make a huge batch at freeze some of the soup for a later meal!
Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- olive oil
- ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- yellow or white onion
- bell peppers (green and red)
- brown sugar
- Italian seasoning
- tomato sauce
- diced tomatoes
- beef broth
- white or brown rice
How to Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
First you’ll heat oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Then add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Cooking until the beef is almost done.
Next you’ll add diced onion and cook until the onion is soft.
Core and dice your peppers. You can choose a mix of red and green peppers, or even stick to just one type of pepper.
Add the peppers to the pot and cook over medium heat until they are soft.
Next add the brown sugar, Italian seasoning and garlic. Then add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and beef broth.
Stir the mixture well and bring it to a boil. After the mixture boils, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot, allowing the soup to cook until it is heated through and the flavors have blended well.
Just before serving stir in the cooked rice. You can use either white or brown rice in this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small (1 cup) onion, diced - yellow or white
- 1 large green bell pepper, cleaned and chopped *see notes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cleaned and chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- Heat oil in dutch oven or large pot
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper and cooked until almost done
- Add diced onion and cook until soft
- Add peppers and cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 5-8 minutes
- Add brown sugar, Italian seasoning and garlic, continue stirring and cook 1 minute
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beef broth, stir until well combined
- Bring mixture to a boil
- Reduce to simmer and cover
- Cook for 45-60 minutes or until heated through and flavors have had a chance to blend well
- Stir in cooked rice and serve immediately ** see notes
*Peppers - you can use all green or a combination of green and red peppers, you will need a total of about 2 cups chopped
**Rice - if you are planning to have leftovers, only add rice to the soup you are eating immediately